Pregnancy Ticker

pregnant

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

24 Weeks = Ear of Corn

My weight has been holding steady for the last 3 weeks. I'm fine with that! I'm assuming I'll see an increase next week after being away for the weekend at my brother's wedding.

I had a bit of a curious situation with the baby over the weekend. I went to a birthday party and had some really good chocolate cake and got no reaction from her at all. Later in the week I had a pathetic excuse for cheese fries and got tons of kicks. I'm thinking that perhaps she didn't know what good cheese fries were like and that is why she gave a good reaction to bad cheese fries. I had good cheese fries yesterday and had appropriate reactions, so I hope she is now able to tell the difference. In reading up on her development, it looks like her taste buds are just starting to form now, so maybe the good chocolate cake and the bad cheese fries just happened before she had good taste buds going on.

I've got a head cold and that is a pretty miserable thing, but the queasiness has been reduced significantly. I'm still sick sometimes, but it is once a week or less. And the preggie pops drops seem to really help when things are really bad.

Here's the 24 week scoop:
http://www.babycenter.com/6_your-pregnancy-24-weeks_1113.bc
Your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment